Dehydrated fruit leather can be prepared in as quick as 10 minutes then just let it dry in a dehydrator or oven till ready.
It’s an easy homemade snack that’s great for hiking, lunch boxes or road trips.
Fruit roll ups are also one of my kids’ favorite sweet treats, but store-bought ones are loaded with sugar.
This recipe provides a healthier version that’s vibrant with natural colors, sweetness, and chew!
I keep it handy for when I have excess fruit laying around that’s about to be too ripe to eat on its own.
Below are 3 classic fruit leather flavors, but really your options are endless.
I made this recipe to be adaptable to just about any fruit, so be adventurous!
Alternative ingredients include…
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
- Grapefruit juice
- Maple syrup
- Agave syrup
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
Follow this quick and simple step-by-step guide below to achieve the ultimate fruit leather!
How to Make Fruit Leather in Your Dehydrator
- 12 strips
- Blender / Food Processor
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 8 hours (dehydrating)
For blueberry fruit leather:
- 500g blueberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
For apple fruit leather:
- 500g apple (cored and chopped)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For peach fruit leather:
- 500g peach (roughly chopped)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp molasses
- Place the fruit, sweetener, lemon juice and flavoring into a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. This is the one I use.
2.Taste the puree and adjust with additional sugar or acid to taste.
- Pass the fruit puree through a sieve to ensure it is smooth.
- Once smooth pour the puree onto 2 dehydrator trays and spread evenly to a thin sheet.
- Place in the dehydrator for approximately 8 hours at 60 degrees celsius. Occasionally check the fruit leather until it’s reached your desired consistency.
This is the dehydrator I recommend. It’s built right and reliable:COSORI Premium Food Dehydrator Machine(50 Free Recipes), 6 Stainless Steel Trays with Digital Timer and Temperature Control for Beef,Jerky,Fruit,Dog Treats,Herbs,ETL Listed/FDA Compliant
- Designed in California. Comes with 6 Stainless Steel Trays, 1 Mesh Screen, 1 Fruit Roll Sheet, 1 Manual, 1 Recipe, Check out our VIDEO on the left side & take a quick tour of this COSORI Stainless Steel Food Dehydrator Machine!(search for C267-2ST, C267-2MS or C267-FR to get more accessories)
- STAINLESS STEEL - Made with food-grade stainless steel and glass front door. this dehydrator is perfect for making healthy beef jerkies, snacks, fruit leathers, dog treats, bread crumbs, and for preserving herbs, flowers, and much more
- EASY TO USE - Use the digital control panel to set the timer in 30-minute increments for up to 48 hours. Make average-sized batches of dried foods with accurate temperatures between 95º-165ºF.Refer to 50 recipes designed for beginners by COSORI Chefs Team!
- QUIET TO USE - Simply press the start button to dehydrate your food and go to sleep. The noise is less than 48dB, which equals noise levels recorded in library
- SAFE TO USE - Tray liners are 100% BPA-FREE. Auto shut off kicks in right when the timer ends. Overheat protection will activate if the dehydrator overheats.ETL Listed & FDA Compliant. 120V, 600W, Please note that this voltage only applies to USA and Canada.
- EASY TO STORE & CLEAN - The 6 trays are dishwasher-safe and tray liners can be washed on the top rack of your dishwasher if you remove them before the drying cycle
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
- When finished, peel the fruit leather away from the dehydrator tray.
- Place each sheet of fruit leather onto a chopping board and slice with a knife into six even strips.
- Roll up each strip and enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Here’s a great video tutorial by FrugalGreenGirl:
Here’s how to make it in the oven (in case you don’t have a dehydrator yet but realllly want some fruit leather!):
Once smooth pour the puree onto a flat oven tray lined with parchment paper and spread evenly to a thin sheet.
Place in the oven for approximately 8 hours at 60 degrees celsius, occasionally check the fruit leather to reach the desired consistency.
The leather is ready when the texture is smooth, pliable, and formed into a cohesive sheet.
Let me know which version of homemade dehydrated fruit leather was your favorite in the comments below!
I’m a foodie that’s slightly obsessed with drying fruits, veggies, beans, and more – especially from my own garden! It started as a hobby but became a “must” when my family fell on hard times, and my dried food stash sustained us. Now I’m always experimenting with different techniques and recipes and sharing them here!
7 thoughts on “Fruit Leather Recipe Using a Dehydrator”
This is awesome and seems so doable!
I just made some with my 4-year-old and they are FANTASTIC!!!
Yay! We LOVE homemade fruit leather.
I made fruit leather on my round 4-tray dehydrator and after about 20 minutes it turned itself off. I suspect it overheated due to lack of circulation. I had lined each of the 4 trays with parchment paper and poured the fruit leather on them, stacked them and turned it on.
I ended up doing 2 sheets in the oven but had already ordered 4 of the commercial silicone mats made specifically for these round dehydrators. Will I be able to safely use them?
I use the silicone trays in my dehydrator with no issues. Is it possible the parchment paper touched the fan in your dehydrator, which caused it to turn off?
How long will these last in an airtight container?
Hi Rachel, properly dried and stored fruit leather should last at least 6 months!